7.30.2006

Disowning Oneself

While i watch other people grapple with their problems - careers, relationships, their own unruly heads and what not, i have my own.

I have disowned myself, so i don't face any of those problems as of now.
But disowning myself, that is one crazy problem to have.

Well, i don't think disowning oneself is bad. But incomplete disownership can be very dangerous.

I have rejected my identity with my desires, my dreams, my beliefs and my personality, albeit some of it has persisted.

A faint identity with logic and goodness stays, but for the most part i am as good as a walking corpse, a thinking, somewhat helpful zombie.

I can generalize every damn thing around me as empirical reality and send it packing like a dream, but really thats not true to me anymore. Emptiness is not very acceptable anymore. The thirst for life has arisen again.

The desires are drawing fuel from my environment. I wish to have it all and i know i can have it all.

I have a tremendous dissatisfaction now, from not having done justice to my talents, to the resources available to me, to the faith reposed in me, and from not having been found worthy of anyone [ read any lady's ] affection.

This seems crazy to me at an intellectual level, but this dissatisfaction is not peripheral anymore. I can't walk past it as not me anymore.

So what options do i have:

1.) Do i heap things around the ego, which is the natural course for everyone. Then i get enmeshed in the desires, judgements, joys [ yes..], people [he and she and they] and all that life. Most easy garb to wear will be the career garb - I am out to make a name for myself, then the whole life of struggle follows.

2.) Do i renounce all remanents of my personality, everything and maybe start working as a spiritualist, work with the R K Mission and work to just support my family. This is a possibilty.

3.) I could maybe try and balance the two. Which even though will look hypocritical as trying to have the best of both worlds, probably isn't.

How do i decide:

Things i must keep in mind

1) If i do live an active life in the world as a contributor and a consumer, i will have to gaurd against the dangerous effects of being conditioned by society. I will have to not only sharpen my judgement, but be strong enough not to be led off-principle by social involvement.

2) Even as i write, i can feel the strength of the desires being fuelled. I honestly think that it will take too great an effort to completely dam up these deisres, an effort that is beyond me.

3) A life in the world will entail a work first - contemplate later attitude for the most part. That will be a major shift for me.

will continue.......... [And this exercise is taking its toll. Its not fun. But i enjoy lookin at the neat stuff i produce]

4 comments:

nobody's devil said...

if its true that u hav started desring sum things, then i must stay that the sleeping zeal fr life in urself may re-kindle.... as fr me, i can do nothing but smile

nobody's devil said...

if u hav started desiring sum things in life now, then there is no need to feel hollow... ur soul has been awakened thats all, the zeal of life has kind of re-kindled itself... don't hold it back... its u hav to decide now, i can do nothing but smile

Vipul Naik said...

Lo SS

I am glad to see a new and consistent standard in your posts. I suggest you aim at one more thing in subsequent posts: effective paragraphing. Your blog is currently very desultory, ambulatory, and peripatetic. You make a point and quickly switch away from it.

I suggest you follow "effective paragraphing", wherein each paragraph has 2-7 sentences (preferably around 4), and where the first and/or the last sentence gives the "paragraph topic". The remaining sentences provide further elaboration and examples.

Currently, your paragraphs either contain only the topic sentence or contain only examples.

Vipul

namit said...

ahan nice entry man......flow is good but i guess some structuring is required .....