To succeed, one must get the basics right.
Let us take living as the art and the science then. To succeed, the basics have to be right.
As per hindu tradition , there are two ways in which a human being can live.
One is the life of the man of the world, the householder. The other , of the spiritually dedicated reculse.
Let me enumerate the high priority virtues successful living in the world entails :
In no particular order
1) Proactivity and Action Orientation
2) Industry and Creativity in Action and Thought
3) Self Confidence of a Positive Variety
5) Moral Fortitude in the face of temptation to ethical incorrectness
Let me contrast these with what are higher priorities for a reclusive life
1) Critical Thinking and very strong mental fortitude in face of any tempations.
2) 'Vairagya' or Mental Renuncation of Mind and Materials
3) Sense Restraint
4) Confidence of a negative variety as far as things of the world go. That is to say, surety of what doesn't work.
5) Positive confidence in the ideals of Absolute Freedom / God / Spirit, something genuinely free as the case may be
Clearly i haven't got my priorities sorted out right now.
Most of my effort and habit is clearly towards the reclusive life.
However, i am directly involved in the worldly life.
What is the solution to this problem.
Clearly, i must master one of the two sets of virtues first and decide my priorities.
This is a very tough question is all i can say right now.